Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Cinco de Mayo!

There couldn't be a more perfect opportunity to wear my new Mexican novelty print circle skirt than 5th May... a.k.a. Cinco de Mayo!  This also happened to coincide with a Bank Holiday in the UK, although my plans to fully celebrate the day was thwarted by the fact that my favourite local Mexican restaurant was closed!


I acquired this skirt at the Classic Car Boot Sale back in London in March.  I did not have a lot of money to spend at this event and there was not a lot I actually wanted to buy there... that was until I found the lady with the pink Cadillac who had lots of vintage goodies!  The traders there weren't selling things at 'car boot sale' prices but I guess the novelty of buying vintage items from classic cars was the attraction rather than bargain prices. 

When I found this skirt, I measured it and found it to be my size, so I knew it would be hard to resist buying it.  But I managed to leave it for an hour or so whilst we had lunch before I ran back to Southbank to snap it up!  I don't go crazy for novelty prints like I know some vintage lovers do but I do like some select pieces and this skirt is definitely one of them.



The great thing about this skirt is that it has a few colours which I can match it with... and yet I have managed to be quite boring and worn it with a black sweater/ shoes/ bag on this occasion!


I also chose to wear my new Renoir copper set.  I have wanted a 1950s copper jewellery set for a while but it took some time to find the right set, in a design I liked, with screw back earrings and at a price I can afford.  I really want to invest in more jewellery sets but it is hard finding ones that are exactly right.


Skirt: Vintage from a trader at the Classic Car Boot Sale
Sweater: Repro from Rocket Originals
Belt: Vintage from Etsy
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens
Bag: Vintage from ebay
Jewellery set: Vintage from Etsy

7 comments:

  1. Love this outfit- especially the print on that skirt! It's the perfect balance between super over-the-top novelty and very classic because you can't really tell what the cute print is until you look at it up close! Great copper set, too! And I hope this doesn't sound weird, but you are giving me major skin envy- amazing! :-)
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love the copper set! :) But the main thing I have to say is, what type of Mexican restaurant closes on Cinco de Mayo?!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you snapped up the skirt, it is lovely and really good colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, this skirt is a fantastic buy! i love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that skirt. Really fun and playful, and it's darling on you.
    On a side note, I stumbled across your blog months ago, then promptly forgot the name and couldn't find it again until now. I'm so happy that I did, though! You were actually one of a few people that I had in mind as "vintage bloggers with pixie haircuts" when I was thinking about chopping my hair.
    Cheers!
    Jessica, cakesandcakesvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jessica! Glad I could provide some inspiration for your pixie cut (which looks great on you btw!) :)

      Delete