Sunday, 26 October 2014

The African novelty print skirt

I touched upon vintage not being "unique" in a recent post and this skirt is a good example of it. 

 
 
I first saw this skirt on the 365 Days of Vintage blog post here and instantly loved it!  I don't collect novelty prints like some vintage lovers do but I do like certain prints and this is one of them.  Since reading that post a few years ago, I have seen this skirt pop up on Facebook, Instagram and Etsy many times and in different colourways. 

When I was in London back in July, I found this skirt in Cloud Cuckoo Land and it was my size!  I never thought I would find one in a UK vintage shop so I knew I had to get it. 

 
 
Yellow is one of my favourite colours and I was really pleased to get this 1950s deadstock gypsy blouse at the Classic Car Boot Sale in September.  It goes perfectly with this skirt.


Here is a close up of the skirt.  Do you own this print or do you have any vintage items which many people own?

Skirt: Vintage from Cloud Cuckoo Land (London)
Top: Vintage deadstock from Candy Says at the Classic Car Boot Sale
Sunglasses: Vintage from trader at Lace & Tweed Fair
Shoes: Miss L Fire
Bag: Vintage from Etsy
Jewellery set: Vintage from Etsy

8 comments:

  1. I don't have this print but it is a great one to have. This skirt is so pretty on you and I very much love your sunglasses! What a great place to take pictures at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, these photos were taken in Salisbury on a very lovely day in September!

      Delete
  2. great skirt! fun print!!!

    my beloved violin skirt i found a couple fo times (after searching) on etsy but in different colours and different cuts. i suppose it was just a frabric collection and women created their own skirts out of it at home or took it to the tailor ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think it was probably the same for this skirt too! I wonder how many more I will stumble across :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's a great print, I saw it many time on my friend Sylvie that inspired you...
    But these skirts usually are in tiny, tiny sizes.... hope to find one one day!
    You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurence, hope you manage to find this one too! :)

      Delete
  4. Yours is a beautiful skirt! I've never seen that print pop up before, but vintage twins are the best! I've got two beautiful 1940s dresses in identical prints, but in two different cuts. The first one I bought for a song, but when the second one showed up on Ebay, it sent me into a crazy bidding war. I couldn't not have both!
    You look great!
    ~Candice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it how we love vintage twins?! I'm not sure if I would buy this skirt in the other colourways unless it was super cheap though!

      Delete