Sunday, 26 July 2015

The mexican tourist jacket and the telephone cord purse

Before I went to America, I compiled a rather long wish list, which included everything from 1950s gold capri pants to all the tiny 1950s knitwear.  Whilst I didn't find even half of what was on my list, (no gold pants for me) I did find some key items, including the Mexican tourist jacket and telephone cord purse.

The tourist jacket was a relatively easy find and I did see a few of them throughout my holiday.  It's the kind of purchase that I didn't want to make online as I wasn't sure of the fit and this one was purchased in Paper Moon Vintage in Hollywood.  It was a good price and in pretty good condition.

 
This outfit is quite unusual for me, given that I am wearing jeans but I just love this jacket!  I have seen these jackets pop up in Twin Peaks (being worn by Lara Flynn Boyle) and in The Shining too (being worn by Shelley Duvall.)
 
 
The telephone cord purse was not such an easy find.  I really thought I would come across a few in the USA but I only saw the one and I so I had to buy it.  Luckily it was in the colours I was looking for too.  This ended up being a very good price and was purchased from Blue Moon Vintage at the Viva Las Vegas Car Show.  This trader had so much good stuff and I also bought a sweater, sunglasses and another purse from them (I could have bought more if I didn't have any restraint!)
 
 
These photos were taken at the Brighton Jukebox and Retro Fair back in March which was a pretty good event to attend as there were two very good traders selling 1950s clothing and accessories (and some nice cars too!)
 
Jacket: Paper Moon Vintage, Hollywood
Jeans: Freddies of Pinewood (Jeanies pedal pushers)
Top: Topshop
Belt: Trader at VLV
Shoes: Minnetonka Thunderbird Moccasins
Purse: Blue Moon Vintage at the VLV Car Show
Bakelite earrings: VLV Car show trader
Brooch: Boss Vintage at VLV
 

15 comments:

  1. I like your jacket - it is very distinctive and looks in immaculate condition.

    I still do not own any jeans. I am not a lover of denim but if I do take the plunge I think I would go for some Freddies. Skinny jeans would not be my style at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Freddie's Jeanies are the only jeans I own but they've got quite a few nice styles!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love both of these pieces. Versatile separates and accessories like these are fantastic to have in your closet, even if they may not be as flashy-awesome as gold pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm quite glad I found these pieces rather than the gold pants! :)

      Delete
  3. Funny... I just got my first telephone cord purse... I was not found of them, but I said myself that I have to have one... but I was quite picky!
    I love your mexican jacket... I have 2 one in red found in LA and one in green found in VLV years ago... I would love to find a blue one like yours... but they are hard to find in larger sizes and mainly in good condition... mothes loved them :-)
    You look gorgeous like always!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your purse has some great detail on it and I loved your recent post featuring it :)

      Delete
  4. It's so cool that you were able to cross some items off your vintage wish list! I have one that is continually expanding, and I think if I were to go to the States I'd need a shipping container to bring back all the vintage I'd want to acquire! :D

    That jacket really is an awesome statement piece though, it's a great find! :)

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonita! Getting to America is quite expensive so I felt I had to buy everything I liked!

      Delete
  5. Marvelous holiday buys! The brown + cream cord bags are some of the hardest to find. Congrats on scoring one on your travels. It looks darling with your new jacket.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, yes so glad that the one I found was in the colours I wanted! :)

      Delete
  6. I adore adore this outfit!! I've wanted a Mexican tourist jacket for a while, but I've only seen one and it was bright neon green so it wasn't really my color! I love yours though - the details are beautiful! Love seeing you wear something so different - you look great in whatever you wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have seen a couple in the UK, so I'm sure you'll find one you like soon! :)

      Delete
  7. I love every single piece of this outfit! I was hopin gto find my own telephone cord purse during my US vacation, but ... well, next year. Luckily people just have one appendix .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad that you didn't get to go to America! I'm sure you will find a telephone cord purse (and much more!) when you do go :)

      Delete
  8. Great outfit! How nice that you were able to find some things from your wish list.

    ReplyDelete