Friday, 25 September 2015

In Retrospect

A few weeks ago I was asked to review In Retrospect magazine by the founder/ editor Mat Keller.  I had first been introduced to this magazine earlier last year when I was given an introductory copy at The Mid Century Market.  Since then, there has been a successful Kickstarter campaign, which saw the magazine launch its first issue earlier this year.

Now, as you may have already gathered, I only really do vintage outfit posts on this blog.  However, I was compelled to share my thoughts with you on this great magazine.


In Retrospect prides itself on being the only magazine run by full time vintage enthusiasts and this really comes through in the variety of articles.  I never felt that I wanted to subscribe to any of the other vintage lifestyle magazines because the articles were not that interesting to me.  Having read the first 4 issues of this magazine, I know I want to start a subscription as soon as Issue 5 is out!


Each issue has a range of 'opinionated' articles, features on reproduction brands, factual articles on stars of the golden age of Hollywood, debates, features on vintage transport and dancing, as well as other topics too.


One of my favourite features throughout the 4 issues was the "In Focus" articles by Kerry Curl.  I really found the pieces on Vivian Maier and Bunny Yeager to be not only interesting but informative too.

Another one of the great things about this magazine is that it appeals to both men and women.  The vintage scene seems to be dominated by women (unless you include the vintage car scene too) and some of the other vintage lifestyle magazines seem to solely focus on women, however, this one has definite broad appeal.  My fiance read the magazines before I even got a chance and he was impressed by the quality and range of topics covered.

If you subscribe now, you will start with Issue 4.  A 6 issue subscription costs £21.60 in the UK or each issue is normally £4.50.  For international prices and more information, you can find out here.

I would love to hear your views on this magazine if you have read any of the issues!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, dear..
    I doubt it'll ever get shipped here and sold. Alas, it's sad to admit, but folks over here prefer the gossip magazines.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marija, you can do a subscription via their website and they will post internationally! Click on the link in the post :)

      Delete
  2. Very lovely review! I recently started reading this magazine as well and absolutely adore it. I feel it does a really good job of covering a wide range of vintage topics, voices and viewpoints. I wish them nothing but the best and hope that they're able to keep going strong for a long time to come.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too, we need to support these things! :)

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love this magazine! I always look forward to the next issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't comment, I'm biassed as I write for it :-) It's great to know you like it, though - I always look forward to reading all the other articles as it's diverse and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really great. May be I get my hands on one of them one day ...

    ReplyDelete