Wednesday 16 April 2014

My Mad Men dress

Tonight, UK viewers will get the chance to see the first episode of the last season of Mad Men (if you have Sky Atlantic that is!)  I've loved the show for so long and thought today would be a rather apt time to show you a dress of mine which was featured in a previous season!


 
Please excuse the rather poor image quality!  This dress was worn in the Season 2 episode "Maidenform" which you may remember as the episode where the team get creative over ideas for a new Playtex campaign and suggest that every woman is either a "Jackie or a Marilyn." 
 
 
 
This dress was actually the first item I ever purchased on Etsy back in 2010.  It is a "Doris Fein Original" and at the time I purchased it, I didn't know it had been on the TV show so you can imagine my surprise when re-watching Season 2 on DVD and I see one of the secretaries wearing my dress!  Cue lots of 'rewind and pause' moments.  As this is obviously not the only dress ever made, I am not suggesting that this exact same dress made its way from the show's extensive wardrobe into my wardrobe but it is still pretty exciting to own a dress that has been seen on Mad Men. 
 
And I am not the only one that this has happened to!  A while back I saw this post on the Couture Allure blog and how the blogger had her very own "Mad Men Moment."  Have any of you ever had one of your vintage items featured on Mad Men or another period TV show?  If you have, I would love to see!
 
Dress: Vintage from Etsy
Shoes: Marks and Spencer
Belt: Vintage from Etsy
Bracelet: Vintage from Rhythm Riot
Earrings: Vintage but cannot remember where I bought these as it was so long ago!

5 comments:

  1. great story behind the dress. it's absolutely gorgeous ...

    i wouldn't mind to have my own mad men moment with one of betty draper's early dresses ... gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful dress - and you are a beautiful gal in it! That is so cool that you saw it on Mad Men. In the past I have seen a few jewellery pieces/bags etc. on some british dramas that have been set in the 50s, but couldn't find any pictures. To see an actual piece of clothing make an appearance is great! I love the colours (so many colour-matching possibilities!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is very exciting. Pretty dress. I saw a teaset of mine on Call the Midwife if that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dress and so exciting that it is famous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that is seriously cool! I always keep an especially close watch on period shows and movies to see if I spot anything I own (or have previously owned). No dice yet, but you never know (one of my past sponsors had a necklace of theirs that they sold appear on the show Masters of Sex; selling something that showed up on the big or small screen would be pretty terrific too, I think).

    This dress is really pretty and so evocative of Easter's sweet, lovely palette. It suits you beautiful, honey!

    Big hugs & tons of happy Easter weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete