Sunday 3 August 2014

Capri pants!

I think it is safe to say that I definitely prefer dresses and skirts to trousers... having said that, I do love the 1950s capri pants that I see girls wearing and I've been dying to own a pair myself.  However, trousers/ pants are just so difficult to get right in the measurements!  Buying a full skirt or dress is so easy by comparison and it is for this reason that I have generally stayed away from buying vintage trousers online. 

Ballyhoo Vintage has a great range of 1950s and 1960s capri pants/ clam diggers/ pedal pushers and I really wanted a pair... so I bought these deadstock ones as they were not very expensive so I figured if they didn't fit right, it wouldn't be a huge waste of money.

 
They are super tight and there isn't much give in the fabric.  It is the right size (I actually had to get them taken in a little by the ankle) as any bigger and it wouldn't have the right look. 
 
 
I definitely feel more self-conscious wearing these than I do in any vintage dress I own but I do also like this outfit a lot (even if all I can see is hips/ thighs/ bum) so I would like to buy some more capri pants in the future.
 
 

 
We are currently in-between sofas in our flat so I used this opportunity to take some photos in the huge space we now have in our lounge.  This clock was the first mid-century item we bought for the flat.  It's great to be able to look at (and purchase!) furniture and homewares at vintage fairs, when before, I was only really interested in the clothing.


Yep, definitely super tight.

Capri pants: Vintage deadstock from Ballyhoo Vintage
Top: H&M
Necklace: Vintage from Etsy
Bracelet: Vintage from trader at Rhythm Riot
Bag: Vintage from Etsy
Earrings: Reproduction from Bow & Crossbones
Shoes: Topshop


6 comments:

  1. Shauna

    Your capris look great on you! They certainly are a good fit.

    I never wore trousers until the end of last year when I was persuaded to try some by friends. I am now glad I bought some as they are so comfy. I am not sure if I would like really tight trousers though as I feel modesty issues are important.

    I have actually reverted to skirts and dresses again recently during the hot weather in the UK as I find skirts to be cooler.

    I have started a blog on my experiences http://rebeccatriestrousers.blogspot.com

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. good buy! these pants look absolutely great on you!!! ... the top is h&m? cool, it looks totally vintage-y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they look fabulous on you! I know what you mean about preferring to wear skirts/dresses to pants - I can never find trousers that fit me perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fantastic on you! I don't go in for pants much these days, but I would love to find a pair of capris that fit and flattered me as well as those do you. It's perfect with your peasant blouse and bakelite jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look great!! And Ballyhoo has the best capris, good choice :)

    ReplyDelete